Sheikh Zayed Mosque
One of the new wonders of the world, Sheikh Zayed Mosque or Grand Mosque is also one of the most famous mosques in the world. Whatever your faith this incredible mosque is worth a visit.
It was originally envisioned by the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al-Nayhan as an emblem of genuine Islamic values: tolerance, love and mutual understanding.
It welcomes visitors from all over the world, no matter what religion with the aim of achieving positive interaction with other cultures.
Free tours are conducted daily or if you just want to wander around then you are welcome.
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque opened for worship in 2007.
- It was the dream of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al-Nayhan. His belief in tolerance and diversity through Islam led him to establish the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. He hoped to create an emblem of tolerance, love and peace.
- He also aimed to establish an Abu Dhabi mosque that unified different Islamic architectural schools, historic and modern.
- Although Sheikh Zayed passed away on 2nd November 2004 his successor his son, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al-Nayhan continued his vision. The mausoleum of the late Sheikh Zayed is located beside the mosque on the north side. He continues to hold a special place in the heart of his people.
- Around 40000 people can worship at once.
What Is There To See?
- The Mosque is clad in stunning white marble from Macedonia. Instantly recognizable the pure white color is reflective of purity and piety.
- There are 82 domes. The largest is in the centre of the main prayer hall. Traditional moroccan artwork and verses from the Holy Quran encircle the inside of the domes.
- 1000 marble columns are inlaid with semi-precious stones.
- The main prayer hall houses the world largest hand-knotted carped of 5700 square metres.
- There are seven crystal chandeliers. The largest in the main prayer hall weighs about 12 tons. The smaller blue colored chandeliers are in the foyer entrances. The largest of these weighs 2 tons.
- Traditional Islamic designs of symmetry and repetition using modern techniques appear throughout this Abu Dhabi Mosque. Unique floral additions combine to make this visually stunning Sheikh Zayed Mosque unforgettable.
- At night the unique lighting system reflects the phases of the moon so every night appears a little different. At full moon the lighting is brightest. The pools surrounding the actual mosque also reflect the mosques' columns in the moonlight. Especially stunning at full moon.
- A comprehensive library is open to all interested in learning more about the Islamic faith. Uniquely positioned in the Northern Minaret of the Mosque it hopes to enhance culture and knowledge in Abu Dhabi.
Find out more about visiting this famous Abu Dhabi Mosque
Return from Sheikh Zayed Mosque to Mummy More Home
If you would like to keep in touch then like, share or follow along below!
*In our articles we recommend and link to some products we use and love. If you buy something through one of those links (which is marked with a *), we receive a small commission which keeps us in coffee and dreams! There is no additional cost to you, and it helps keep our information free of charge. To learn more, please see our Affiliate Disclosure.