Carrot Cakes CAN Be Healthy
Fruit Sweet And Sugar Free!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free Carrot Cake......With Lemon Coconut Cream Icing
Carrot cake recipes often pretend to be the healthy option - after all, they contain a vegetable right? Unfortunately no! Often they are loaded with calories from carbohydrates and unhealthy fats (although not all fats are bad!). The very opposite of healthy!
This gluten free, dairy free and sugar free carrot cake is delicious, ’school friendly’ and healthy!
It is made with vegetables and sweetened with fruits (dates and apples). Unlike most recipes there are no oils or processed sugar so there are no hidden nasties. And the icing is the best bit - lemon and coconut compliment the cake spices beautifully but there is no sugar so you can eat without the guilt!
Super Friendly Carrot Cake - decorated by the kids!
It does take a bit of time to make this cake (especially the first time) but it is worth it! The key is make sure that once the egg whites are whipped and you are adding other ingredients you do it quickly so the air stays in the mix. This means the cake ends up beautifully light and airy.
Prep Time: 40 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
This recipe makes 2 18cm (7”) round cakes - together they make a layer cake.
Sugar Free Carrot Cake Ingredients
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup Applesauce (unsweetened) (see recipe below)
- 2/3 cup Dates
- 1/3 cup Boiling Water
- Pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Milk (any)
- 1 & 3/4 cup Grated Carrot
- 1 & 1/2 cup Millet Flour (see note)
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
Apple Sauce - Large Batch
- 5 apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup water
Choose Method 1 or 2
- Place in saucepan and cook gently on medium heat with lid on for 15-20 minutes until soft then mash with a fork or blend.
- Steam until soft (10-15 minutes) then puree with blender and 1/3 cup water.
Store in fridge (or freeze in ice cubes) until ready to use.
Gluten Free Sugar Free Dairy Free Carrot Cake Ready To Cook
Note about Millet Flour
Millet flour gets a bad reputation because it contains goitrogens which affect the thyroid gland. It is not recommended to eat it daily (even though at first glance it appears to be a good wheat substitute). However, eating it for the occasional cake is absolutely fine - just not every day! If you are worried or have thyroid issues already then substitute the millet flour for coconut flour (1/2 cup) AND almond flour (2/3 cup).
Dairy Free Carrot Cake Recipe Method
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
- Place the dates in a bowl. Add the boiling water and bicarbonate of soda. Leave to sit for 20 mins or more.
- Make the applesauce (see instructions above)
- Grease and line 2 18cm (7inch) round cake tins
- In a bowl, sift together the coconut flour, almond meal, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt - set aside.
- Add the date mixture and the applesauce to a blender and pulse until pureed.
- Grate the carrots (depending on your mixer/blender this can be done after the date/applesauce mix before cleaning it).
- Place the egg whites into the mixing bowl and whisk (eg with mixer with stand and whisk attachment). Trying to whisk by hand will be very hard. Whisk on medium/ high until soft/medium peaks form.
- Add the puree mix to the egg whites and whisk on medium/high until fluffy and combined.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time. Ensure that each has been fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Add the vanilla extract. Whisk on medium/high until combined.
- Slowly add the milk.
- Gently fold the flour mix in 3 lots to the egg mixture.
- Add the carrots and stir to combine (do not over stir).
- Evenly divide the cake mixture into the 2 prepared tins.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm on top and skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Once cooled completely refrigerate before icing.
Browning beautifully in the oven!
Sugar Free Frosting - Lemon Coconut Icing
- 1 can Coconut Cream, opened and refrigerated overnight (or at least 5 hours)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Open can of coconut cream - tip away water liquid and reserve the solid coconut cream.
- Place cream in mixing bowl and whisk on high until thickened.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk until combined and thick.
- Spread 1/3 icing over first cake.
- Place second cake on top of first and spread the rest of the icing over the top.
- Decorate and then refrigerate until ready to eat! Ideally within a few hours.
If The Icing/Frosting Goes Wrong!
If you over whisk the coconut cream it might separate even further into a really solid mass and more watery stuff - just tip away the water and add the other ingredients - it won’t be fluffy icing any more but will still taste great :)
Ready to eat.....
Carrot cake recipes don't have to be filled with nasties. And just because you are dairy free, gluten free or sugar free does not mean you cannot enjoy one. I hope you like this cake and would love to see how your turns out!
See you soon! xoxo
If you would like to keep in touch then like, share or follow along below!
*In our articles we recommend and link to some products we use and love. If you buy something through one of those links (which is marked with a *), we receive a small commission which keeps us in coffee and dreams! There is no additional cost to you, and it helps keep our information free of charge. To learn more, please see our Affiliate Disclosure.